Sunday 17 August 2014

When it rains it pours

It's been a very challenging week. Most likely the hardest week we have ever had. But as difficult as this week was for me, I know it was even harder for you.

Every time you had to get dressed or undressed your world fell apart. Laying down to have a fresh nappy put on was torture. Sleeping was a distant memory. Even eating was not satisfying for a little boy who normally eats more than Daddy. 

Perhaps it was your teeth? Perhaps it was a developmental leap as you transition through a wonder week. Perhaps you were just overstimulated from too many activities lately. 

All I know is I am so very grateful for many things. I am grateful this was your Daddy's week off so I had someone to share the load. I'm grateful to have the means to provide you food and clothing for you to reject. I'm grateful for Gracie for being tolerant enough to allow you to pat her which helped calm you at your most stressful moments.

I'm grateful to have maternity leave so I can be at home to be there for you during your toughest weeks. 

This morning I woke up very early to the sound of pouring rain. The droplets splashing on the roof and the road outside washing the streets and nourishing the gardens. It was the most peaceful moment I have felt in a long time. 

I looked down as you snuggled in the crook of my arm, and you too were at peace. Looking like a gum nut baby, content. I am grateful for the rain. 


No comments:

Post a Comment