Friday 14 November 2014

First birthday


I can't believe you have been here for a year already. You have changed my life in ways I never expected when having a baby and I am so grateful to you for that.

We spent your birthday together as a family doing things that you love to do. It felt like Christmas Eve before your birthday and I struggled to fall asleep as I was so excited to see your face when you woke up. I woke at 5am with you snuggled in my arms, resting peacefully. 

I was able to use this time to reflect on your birth and how amazing and empowering it was for me as a woman and a mother. Having a homebirth was the greatest thing I could have done for you and I. 

When you finally began to stir only a few mins before your time of birth, I quickly woke your Daddy so he could watch your reaction as you woke up to see the room filled with balloons. 

Your eyes lit up with such surprise and amazement. And you instantly wanted to play. But this was only the beginning as we came downstairs to find balloons all over the house and streamers lining the hallway. And of course a big red bow around the hand basin in the bathroom where you were born. 

You weren't too fussed about opening your presents but once they were open you loved playing with your new motorbike and musical activity centre that was lovingly sent by Mama's friend Ebony.

After some playtime we set off to have a special birthday breakfast and then it was on to the airport so we could spot some planes. You love watching the planes fly through the air and even in the house you will hear them and point to the sky. So to see them so close was very exciting for you.

We then took you out for a special birthday lunch where you had birthday wishes written in sauce by the chef. 

By this stage you were very tired so we came home so that you could rest and Mama could finish making your cake (the 4th one as the first three each had their own disaster). 

But you were far too excited to sleep until very late in the afternoon when you crashed. Of course this was a mere half an hour before your Poppy arrived with a very special birthday present we had all worked hard to put together over the past few weeks. 

You unwillingly woke up and felt very cranky as you were so tired, but when you opened the gift and realised it was a swing you were happy to play again. That cheeky grin once again lighting up your face. 

It warmed my heart to see how much your Poppy loved pushing you on the swing and seeing how happy it made you. The two of you have a very special connection, he seems to have limitless patience for you but no one else gets this privilege.

Finally we had a lovely roast dinner (your favourite). Then of course finished the day with a big piece of cake. You had a wonderful day and so did I. 





No comments:

Post a Comment